Planning Volume 2, Control Workstation and Software Environment
The IBM Parallel Environment for AIX program product is designed to help
you develop parallel programs and execute them on the SP system or a networked
cluster of RS/6000 processors.
The main Parallel Environment components are:
- The Communications Low-Level Application Programming Interface
(LAPI), which is designed to provide optimal communication performance
on the SP Switch. It does not support the SP Switch2.
- Message Passing and Collective Communications Application Programming
Interface (API) Subroutine Library, which helps application developers
parallelize their code.
- Parallel Operating Environment, which provides the ability to
create and execute parallel application programs.
- Parallel Debuggers, which assist in debugging parallel
- Visualization Tool, a trace generation and display system to
visualize performance characteristics of your program and system.
Nodes operating with PSSP 2.3 or later and AIX 4.2.1
or later, support the Parallel Environment. Parallel Environment
2.4 or later has support for the Message Passing Library (MPL)
subroutines, the Message Passing Interface (MPI) standard, and the Low Level
Applications Programming Interface (LAPI). |If you plan to develop applications using the LAPI component of PSSP
|3.4, you must use Parallel Environment 3.1 or later. See Chapter 11, Planning for migration for more release level compatibility
Be aware that parts of the Parallel Environment installation steps might
interact with or be affected by PSSP component installations, particularly the
switch services component of PSSP (ssp.css) and the SP
security services (ssp.clients). See the book
PE: Installation Guide for details on planning for and
installing Parallel Environment, particularly if you are interested in any of
- Installing Parallel Environment on a control workstation.
- Installing Parallel Environment to run off the rack, with the
ssp.clients file set.
- Installing the switch services component of PSSP
(ssp.css) after Parallel Environment has been
Be sure to address the following considerations:
- Ticket and credentials lifetimes.
- What ticket and credential lifetimes need to be set with respect to PE and
LoadLeveler. The lifetime needs to be long enough to allow for the
expected longest running job to complete.
- DCE server replication when large numbers of tasks are to be used.
- The DCE user id is used if it is different from the AIX user id.
IBM suggests you use DCE integrated login.
[ Top of Page | Previous Page | Next Page | Table of Contents | Index ]