RISC System/6000 200 Series workstations and servers
25T workstation with POWERdisplay monitor Screen image: Wabi 1.1
- Affordable, entry-level graphics workstations and servers, driven by PowerPC(tm) and
POWER(tm) (Performance Optimization with Enhanced RISC) technologies, combine easy
customer configuration and installation with outstanding performance.
- Configuration options include diskless, LAN-attached or stand-alone workstations and servers.
- Key features include 16MB of memory, expandable to 256MB (250 models); and 64MB (220 and 230 models);
integrated SCSI and Ethernet controllers; built-in graphics adapter slot; 2 Micro Channel(r)
slots; and standard device ports/connectors.
- The 250 models, with the high speed 80 MHz processor, provide a 21% increase in performance over
the 66 MHz models. A performance upgrade to 80 MHz is also available for all
currently installed 200 Series models.
- The POWER GXT100(tm) and
POWER GXT150(tm) offer robust 2D graphics performance making the 250
an outstanding 2D desktop workstation.
- AIX(r), IBM's UNIX®tm operating system, conforms to major open systems
standards and has over 10,000 applications available.
- Investment protection provided for all 200 Series models through a wide range of performance upgrades.
IBM's innovative POWER and PowerPC technologies deliver breakthrough value and
performance to all 200 Series workstations and servers. The superior floating-point performance
of these models makes them a natural for technical engineering/
scientific applications, while
their integer performance and powerful transaction processing capabilities provide an excellent
environment for running mission-critical business applications. These cost-effective, entry-level
systems are ideal in multi-user environments. All models are binary compatible with the other members
of the RISC System/6000(r) family and support both AIX Version 3.2.5 and
AIX Version 4.1. These models are extremely versatile
providing paging over LANs and remote IPL, and can be enhanced with
optional features and supported devices.
The 220 and 230 models offer a range of POWER single chip processors with clock
speeds of up to 45 MHz in the latter. These cost-effective workstations and servers
provide extensive growth and
With the high speed 80 MHz processor option, the 250 models are the
performance leaders of the 200 Series. The 80 MHz
PowerPC Performance Select is available
as an option on new 250 systems or as an upgrade to existing 200 Series systems.
The 250 models also support a robust range of devices.
Complementing the RS/6000(tm) POWER and PowerPC technologies is a
versatile family of graphics
accelerators and specialized system
software that meets the needs of
graphics intensive applications.
The 200 Series supports a wide selection of graphics displays, high-quality peripherals,
and a robust range of 2D and 3D graphics options.
The 200 Series workstations also support entry level 3D graphics for applications that
use the OpenGL, PEX or PHIGS 3D graphics application programming interfaces (APIs). This
capability is available either through optional software support, which allows
you to run 3D graphics on a 2D accelerator; or with a hardware
accelerator, such as the POWER Gt4e(tm) or the POWER GXT1000(tm)&period.
IBM stands behind every RISC System/6000 with superior service and support to ensure your highest
satisfaction. With IBM's commitment to technology leadership, unparalleled experience in delivering
high-quality solutions and open system leadership, an investment in RS/6000 200 Series
workstations and servers is an investment in success.
In addition to the standard features, packaged systems are available. (Not all
available packages are listed here.) Standard and optional package features include:
1GB SCSI-2 disk drive; 8-port async adapter and cable
2GB SCSI-2 disk drive; 16- and 128-port async adapters, cables and concentrators
540MB SCSI-2 disk drive; POWERdisplay 17 (maximum viewable screen size of 16.1 inches/
409 mm when measured diagonally); keyboard and mouse
1GB or 2GB SCSI-2 disk drive; POWER Gt4e accelerator, POWER GXT1000 attachment adapter
or Megatek Mg24 for RISC System/6000(r); POWERdisplay 20 (maximum viewable
screen size of 19.1 inches/486 mm when measured diagonally)
540MB SCSI-2 disk drive; POWER GXT100 graphics adapter; keyboard and mouse
1GB or 2GB SCSI-2 disk drive; POWER Gt4e, POWER GXT1000 attachment adapter
or Megatek Mg24 for RISC System/6000
200MB SCSI disk drive; POWER Gt1(tm) adapter; keyboard and mouse
540MB, 1GB or 2GB SCSI-2 disk drive; POWER Gt1x, POWER Gt3i(tm),
POWER Gt4e adapters or POWER GTO(tm) accelerator
- RS/6000 Model 220
Clock rate 33 MHz
Linpack DP (in MFLOPS) 6.6
Linpack SP (in MFLOPS) 8.4
Linpack TPP (in MFLOPS) 13.9
Xmark93 1.46 (Gt1)
- RS/6000 Model 230
Clock rate 45 MHz
Linpack DP (in MFLOPS) 8.8
Linpack SP (in MFLOPS) 11.4
Linpack TPP (in MFLOPS) 19.2
Xmark93 4.33 (Gt1x)
- RS/6000 Model 250
Clock rate 66 MHz
Linpack DP (in MFLOPS) 12.7
Linpack SP (in MFLOPS) 19.5
Linpack TPP (in MFLOPS) 33.9
Xmark93 10.72 (GXT150)
- RS/6000 Model 250
Clock rate 80 MHz
Linpack DP (in MFLOPS) 15.1
Linpack SP (in MFLOPS) 21.8
Linpack TPP (in MFLOPS) 40.5
Xmark93 11.88 (GXT150)
- POWER Architecture(tm) and PowerPC RISC design
- Gives you an efficient, low-cost and powerful system
- Takes up less space on the desktop
- Model conversion capability
- Allows you to easily upgrade your 200 Series models to get additional speed when your
applications demand it
- Binary-code compatibility
- Provides a standardized, enterprisewide architecture that can allow
applications to run unmodified on other RISC System/6000 workstations and
- Up to 256MB of memory (250)
- Reduces paging to support multiple applications and users
- System storage
- Provides ample room for system expansion
- With SCSI expansion units, up to 30GB
- With disk array subsystems up to 57.2GB (maximum with 3514 Disk Array)
- Standard RISC System/6000 I/O ports
- Lets you use standard RISC System/6000 peripherals
- Frees existing expansion slots for other peripherals
- 2 Micro Channel slots and 1 graphics slot
- Greatly increases expansion capabilities by allowing you to easily upgrade your 200 Series
models to accommodate various adapters and peripherials
- Prevents costly system reconfiguration
- Preconfigured packaging
- Makes planning, installation and start-up easier
- Error correction code
- Improves system reliability
- Comes optionally preloaded on all RISC System/6000 systems
- Lets you exploit the full power of 200 Series workstations and servers by providing a wealth of
business and technical features, such as a state-of-the-art graphical user interface, support for
powerful graphics adapters and subsystems, and advanced application development tools
- Gives you interoperability with AIX and most other UNIX systems
- Provides major standards compliance and extensions for a highly robust operating system
- 250 models
- 80 MHz clock cycle
- PowerPC 601
- 32KB data cache with PowerPC Performance Select
- 66 MHz clock cycle
- PowerPC 601
- 32KB data cache
- 230 model
- 45 MHz clock cycle
- POWER RSC (RISC Single Chip)
- 8KB combined data and instruction cache
- 128KB external cache
- 220 models
- 33 MHZ clock cycle
- POWER RSC (RISC Single Chip)
- 8KB combined data and instruction cache
- 250 models
- 230 and 220 models
- AIX Version 3.2.5 or AIX Version 4.1, optionally preloaded
- Two 32-bit Micro Channel slots
- local bus graphics expansion slot
- Ethernet controller
- integrated SCSI-2 controller (250)
- integrated SCSI controller (220, 230)
- 3.5-inch fixed disk drive bay
- two serial ports
- one parallel port
- Optional internal fixed disk with capacity up to 2GB
- Two 32-bit Micro Channel card slots
- POWERdisplay 17 (maximum viewable screen size of 16.1 inches/409 mm when
1280 x 1024 pixels, 1152 x 900 pixels and 768 x 1024 pixels
Keyboard and mouse
- U.S. 101 keys, including 12 function keys
- 3.3"H x 16"W x 16.5"D (84 mm x 406 mm x 419 mm)
- 20-25 lbs. (9-11.5 Kg)
* For additional details, contact your IBM marketing representative or IBM Business Partner.
The 200 Series workstations and servers are configured to handle most
business and technical computing tasks. However, optional tools and features
are available. These features are listed below.
Not all products or features are available on all models.
- 80 MHz PowerPC Performance Select
- 80 MHz PowerPC upgrades for all models
- 2MB, 4MB, 8MB, 16MB, 32MB memory SIMM kits
- Disk drives
- 200MB superslim (1st and 2nd) SCSI
- 540MB SCSI-2
- 1GB SCSI-2
- 2GB SCSI-2
- 3.5" 2.88MB Diskette drive
- POWER GXT1000
- POWER GXT150M(tm)
- Megatek Mg24 for RISC System/6000
- POWER GXT100
- POWER GXT150
- POWER Gt3i
- POWER Gt4e
- POWER GTO
- POWER Gt1
- POWER Gt1x
- SCSI-2 Adapter
- SCSI-2 Differential Adapter
- SCSI-2 Fast/Wide Adapter
- SCSI-2 Differential Fast/Wide Adapter
- SCSI-2 High-Performance I/O Controller
- SCSI-2 Differential High-Performance External I/O Adapter
- 8-, 16-, or 128-Port Async Adapter, EIA 232
- 8- and 16-Port Async Adapter, EIA 422A
- Multiprotocol Communications Adapter
- Network Terminal Accelerator
- Graphics Input Device Adapter
- FDDI Fiber (Single- and Dual-ring) Adapter
- FDDI STP (Single- and Dual-ring) Adapter
- 3270 Connection Adapter
- 7250 Attachment Adapter
- 5080 Coax Communication Adapter
- X.25 Interface Co-Processor/2
- Token-Ring High-Performance Network Adapter
- Ethernet High-Performance LAN Adapter
- Digital Trunk Single and Dual Adapter
- Ultimedia Audio I/O Adapter(r)
- M-Video Capture and M-Audio Capture and Playback Adapter
- Realtime Interface Co-Processor Multiport/2, 8-Port (RS-232 and RS-422), 6-Port V.35 and
- 128-Port Async Controller
- ARTIC960 Coprocessor adapter
- System/370(tm) Host Interface Adapter
The following list of devices is a representative sample.
Not all of the devices listed are supported on all models.
For a complete and detailed list of supported devices, contact
your IBM marketing representative or IBM Business Partner.
- Tape drives
- 2GB, 4 mm
- 4GB, 4 mm
- 1.2GB, 1/4 inch
- 2.3GB, 8 mm
- 5GB, 8 mm
- 1/2 inch, 9 track
- 1/2 inch, cartridge
- Tape libraries
- Disk drives
- 3510 PS/2 SCSI Storable Enclosure
- 200MB, 320MB, 400MB and 1GB
- 1GB SCSI-2
- 2GB SCSI-2 Differential
- 2GB SCSI-2 Differential Fast/Wide
- Disk array subsystems
- CD-ROM optical drives
- 1.19GB R/W Optical drive
- Multi-function optical libraries
- POWERdisplay family
- Value Points 6000 and 9000 families
- IBM 6091 family
The 200 Series servers can use any supported ASCII
terminal as a system console. IBM Xstations 130, 140 and
150 are supported, as well as non-IBM X11 terminals.
- 3-Button Mouse
- IBM 6094 dials, LPF keys and Spaceball(r)
- IBM 6093 tablets
The 200 Series workstations and servers are capable of connecting the following modems:
- IBM 58XX models from 9.6Kbps to 56Kbps
- IBM 19.2Kbps
- Hayes(r) Smartmodem(tm) 240, V-Series(r) 9600 and most
other Hayes-compatible modems
- Racal-Vadic(r) 1200PA, 1200VP, VI2422, 2400PA, 2400VP, VI1222VP
- Telebit(r) Trailblazer Plus(tm)
Printers and peripherals
The 200 Series workstations and servers support
the following categories of IBM and non-IBM printers and plotters:
- Impact and non-impact
- PostScript(tm) and non-PostScript
- Ink jet
- Dot matrix
- Pen plotters
Printers and plotters are supported through a standard parallel
port or a LAN connection: token-ring or Ethernet thick/thin or twisted pair cabling.
- Ethernet (10Base2 and 10BaseT) Transceiver
- Non-locking security switch
- 7318 Serial Communications Network Serverl Model P10/S20
For more information on the RISC System/6000 200 Series or the
entire family of RISC System/6000 products, call your IBM marketing
representative, IBM Business Partner, or IBM Direct: 1 800 IBM-CALL
(1 800 426-2255).
In Canada call 1 800 363-RISC (1 800 363-7472).
You can also call 1 800 IBM-4FAX
(1 800 426-4329),
and more information will be faxed immediately to your location.
All other products are trademarks or registered trademarks
of their respective companies.
- All performance data was obtained in a specific environment and is presented "as is" for
illustrative purposes only. Actual results may vary.
Values shown here are the results of development-level systems.
While these values should be indicative of generally available
systems, no warranties or guarantees are stated or implied by IBM.
IBM recommends application-oriented testing for performance predictions
and offers the above commonly reported benchmarks only as an initial
indicator. Additional information on these tests is available from
your IBM Branch Office or IBM Authorized Reseller.
- SPECint92 is a geometric mean of six integer tests that comprise
the CINT92 benchmark suite. All of these are written in C language.
- SPECfp92 is a geometric mean of 14 tests that represent the CFP92
benchmark suite. Five of the tests are single precision, while the
remaining nine are double precision. Two tests are written in C
language, and the rest are written in FORTRAN.
- Linpack DP: Double Precision, n=100 results with AIX XL FORTRAN Compiler/6000, with
optimization. Units are megaflops (MFLOPS).
- Linpack SP: Single Precision, n=100 results with AIX XL FORTRAN Compiler/6000, with optimization.
Units are megaflops (MFLOPS).
- Linpack TPP: Toward Peak Performance (TPP), n=1,000 results with AIX XL FOTRAN Compiler/6000
with optimization. Units are megaflops (MFLOPS).
- The Xmark93 rating is a weighting of 532 tests executed in the X11 perf suite and is an indicator of 2D
graphics performance in an X environment. The IBM GXT150L graphics adapter was used to test the 41T and
- AIX, ESCON, IBM, Micro Channel, Portmaster, Megatek Mg24 for RISC System/6000 and
RISC System/6000 are registered trademarks of International Business Machines Corporation.
- POWER Architecture, POWER2, POWER Gt1, POWER Gt3i, POWER Gt4e,
POWER Gt4i, POWER Gt4xi, POWER GTO, POWER GXT100, POWER GXT150, POWER GXT150M, POWER GXT1000,
RS/6000, System/370 and S/370 are trademarks of International Business Machines Corporation.
- Spaceball is a registered trademark of Spaceball Technologies, Inc. UNIX is a registered trademark in
the United States and other countries, licensed exclusively through X/Open Company, Limited.
(c)International Business Machines Corporation 1994
1133 Westchester Avenue
White Plains, NY 10604
Produced in the United States of America
All Rights Reserved
References in this publication to IBM products or
services do not imply that IBM intends to make
them available in all countries in which IBM
Photographs show engineering and design models. Changes
may be incorporated in
This equipment is subject to FCC rules. It will
comply with the appropriate FCC rules before
final delivery to the buyer.
G221-3279-06 / G2213279
IBM home page |
Contact IBM |
Last modified: Tue Feb 11:46:57 CDT 1995