7249/6042 microcode description
New level description
This release of microcode for the 7249/6042 Series of ThinkPad Power Series
is version 1.01.
Year 2000 Support
For model 851 of machine types 7249 and 6042, system
microcode must be updated to be Year 2000 ready*. Note that this
statement does not apply to the product 7249 Model 860 whose
system microcode is Year 2000 ready* as shipped.
You will want to upgrade your microcode to version 1.01 to ensure that
your system is Year 2000 ready*. This update provides other functional
enhancements. See the next section.
* Please consult the IBM Year 2000 web page at
for IBM's definition of "Year 2000 ready" and the latest information of the
status of IBM products and the Year 2000.
It contains all of the features of the previous release,
1.0, plus the following enhancements and fixes:
- ROM code updates RTC Date registers improperly.
- PCIC registers are not initialized on warm boot.
- Flash ROM write-protect is not enabled when OS boot.
- NT Shutdown & restart causes ROM hang.
- ROM code updates RTC Date registers intermittently.
- Windows NT ARC reports an internal error.
- MPC105 REV2.4 Errata workaround should be applied.233Mhz Processor
You will want to update your microcode if you would like to add these enhancements
to your system. Users are encouraged to upgrade to this version.
Previous level description
FW VERSION : 1.00 ROM BUILD DATE : 07/03/95
How to determine your microcode version
To check your microcode version:
- Enter Easy Setup by pressing the F1 key at the power on time.
- Select Test icon.
- Enter Super Test by pressing the Ctrl + A keys.
- Enter Maintenace Utility by pressing the Ctrl + V keys.
- Select System Info.
- System ROM version number shows the current firmware level. ** If System
ROM version number is 1.01, the machine is already applied this Firmware
change.Turn on or shutdown and restart the computer.
To update your system microcode, follow the "RS/6000
microcode download procedure" to download and unpack a file archive.
Each archive contains a detailed README file with step-by-step instructions
on how to update the system microcode.
to Microcode download page ]