Planning Volume 2, Control Workstation and Software Environment
The SP system software infrastructure includes:
- AIX 5L 5.1 or AIX 4.3.3, the base operating system
- PSSP, the higher-level set of support programs and interfaces that enables
you to take advantage of the powerful parallel processing features of the SP
- Other IBM system and licensed programs
- Independent software vendor products
AIX is an integrated UNIX operating environment conforming to industry
standards for open systems. It provides the basic operating system
functions such as the AIXwindows user interface, extended real-time support,
network installation management (NIM), advanced file system support, physical
disk space management, and a platform for application development and
execution. AIX capabilities that some PSSP components use for system
management include the following:
- The Network Installation Management (NIM) environment provides the ability
to install an AIX mksysb image over the network.
- The Logical Volume Manager (LVM) improves data management productivity,
enables files to span multiple disk drives, and provides, with the disk
mirroring and concurrent logical volume support, a high availability option
for critical data.
- The System Management Interface Tool (SMIT) provides a single, consistent,
and expandable interface to system management commands.
- The System Resource Controller (SRC) simplifies the management of
subsystems and daemons.
- AIX device support lets you add and delete devices at any time without
disrupting the system.
PSSP is a comprehensive suite of applications to manage an SP system as a
full-function parallel processing system. It provides a single point of
control for administrative tasks and helps increase productivity by letting
administrators view, monitor, and control system operation. Most
functions are base components of PSSP while others are optional: they
come with PSSP, but you choose whether to install and use them. As of
PSSP 3.1, the following are available as optional components:
- High Availability Control Workstation (HACWS) lets your control
workstation be a single point of control while keeping it from becoming a
single point of failure.
- The virtual shared disk management components:
- IBM Virtual Shared Disk makes data on physical disks accessible from
multiple nodes in virtual shared disks that you create; otherwise, the
data is accessible only from the node connected to the disk.
- Recoverable Virtual Shared Disk makes virtual shared disks automatically
recoverable on the event of a failure.
- Hashed Shared Disk stripes your data across multiple virtual shared disks
and multiple nodes.
See the book PSSP: Administration Guide for a summary of
the PSSP components.
[ Top of Page | Previous Page | Next Page | Table of Contents | Index ]