Factory Installed Storage Devices
Use this check procedure to test any factory-installed drives.
The customer may have customized settings in the Setup Utility (other than default settings) on the computer you are servicing. Running the Setup Utility might alter those settings. Take a note of the current settings and verify that the customer settings are in place when service is complete.
NOTE: If you cannot access the hard disk drive or load a diskette from Drive A or load a CD from the CD-ROM drive, make sure that the BIOS Setup Utility has the startup sequence set with diskette, CD-ROM, and hard disk drives.
- Insert the diagnostics diskette into the diskette drive.
- Power-off then power-on the system unit.
DO ANY POST MESSAGES, ERROR CODES, BEEPS, OR SYMPTOMS APPEAR?
(YES, read ahead, NO, go to Step 003)
- Go to 'Index of Symptoms, Messages, Error Codes, or Beeps'
- Select Utility from the menu.
- Select and execute Tech Support Form from the menu
to generate a system configuration report.
- Compare the system configuration list with the actual devices
installed in system.
NOTE: If necessary, remove the cover and visually
compare the devices installed in the system unit to those
shown in the Tech Support Form.
IF THE NUMBER OF DISKETTE, HARD DISK, OR CD-ROM DRIVE IS NOT CORRECT
read ahead, or go to Step 005
- Check the cable installation of all disk drives.
° Diskette drive should be connected to the system board connector
CN16. See 'System Board Layout'.
° IDE Primary Channel Master and Slave Drives in BIOS Setup, should
be connected to the system board connector CN13. See 'System Board Layout'.
° IDE Secondary Channel Master and Slave Drives in BIOS Setup should
be connected to the system board connector CN10. See 'System Board Layout'.
NOTE: The CD-ROM drive comes with system unit should be
configured as IDE Secondary Channel Slave device.
- Check the hard disk and CD-ROM drives jumper settings.
See 'Hard Disk Drive Jumper Settings'
and 'CD-ROM Drive'
- Check the voltages of all disk drive power connectors.
See 'Power Supply Cable Connector Specifications'
- Correct the parameter settings under Disk Drives in the BIOS Setup.
See 'Disk Drives'
- In the BIOS Setup, check that the correct drive size is set for the
flagged drive shown in the Installed Devices list.
- If the problem remains, check the continuity on the drive and the cable
and replace it if necessary. If that does not fix the problem, replace
the system board.
- Select Diagnostics from the PC-Doctor diagnostics program main menu.
Select and execute Floppy Disk Test if you want to test diskette drive.
Select and execute Hard Disk Test if you want to test hard disk drive.
- Select Interactive Tests from the PC-Doctor diagnostics program main menu,
then select and execute CD-ROM/DVD Test if you want to test CD-ROM drive.
- If the diagnostics program did not detect a failure, but the system still displays
° If an error or other symptoms appear, go to 'Index of Symptoms, Messages ...'
° If no error can be detected or the symptom is intermittent, go to
Please see the LEGAL - Trademark notice.
Feel free - send a for any BUG on this page found - Thank you.