Safety Inspection Guide (8650)
Safety Inspection Guide
The intent of this inspection guide is to assist you in
identifying potentially unsafe conditions on these
products. Each machine, as it was designed and built, had
required safety items installed to protect users and service
personnel from injury. This guide addresses only those items.
However, good judgment should be used to identify potential
safety hazards due to attachment of non-IBM features or options
not covered by this inspection guide.
If any unsafe conditions are present, you must determine
how serious the apparent hazard could be and whether
you can continue without first correcting the problem.
Consider these conditions and the safety hazards they present:
- Electrical hazards, especially primary power (primary voltage on
the frame can cause serious or fatal electrical shock).
- Explosive hazards, such as a damaged CRT face or bulging capacitor
- Mechanical hazards, such as loose or missing hardware
The guide consists of a series of steps presented in a checklist.
Begin the checks with the power off, and the power cord disconnected.
- Check exterior covers for damage (loose, broken, or sharp edges).
- Power-off the computer. Disconnect the power cord.
- Check the power cord for:
- A third-wire ground connector in good condition.
Use a meter to measure third-wire ground continuity
for 0.1 ohm or less between the external ground pin
and frame ground.
- The power cord should be the appropriate
type as specified in the parts listings.
- Insulation must not be frayed or worn.
- Remove the cover.
- Check for any obvious non-IBM alterations. Use
good judgment as to the safety of any non-IBM alterations.
- Check inside the unit for any obvious unsafe conditions,
such as metal filings, contamination, water or other
liquids, or signs of fire or smoke damage.
- Check for worn, frayed, or pinched cables.
- Check that the power-supply cover fasteners (screws or rivets) have not
been removed or tampered with.
Please see the LEGAL - Trademark notice.
Feel free - send a for any BUG on this page found - Thank you.