A configuration file is required to configure the server for
ISA or EISA adapters. You must copy
this configuration file, which has a file-name
extension of .CFG ,
from the device diskette to the EISA Configuration Diskette
before installing the device in the server. The configuration file
reserves the system resources that the adapter needs to function
Some ISA adapters are supplied with a diskette that contains
the .CFG file for the adapter. If ISA adapters are installed
that were not supplied with their own CFG files, you must use
the PC Server EISA Configuration Diskette for the system you are
servicing to create a unique .CFG file for each adapter.
The unique .CFG file is system resource sensitive. To use a
configured adapter card in another system, the adapter configuration
must be cleared. See the instructions that were supplied with the
To create a unique .CFG file for an ISA adapter, do the
- Insert the IBM PC Server EISA Configuration Diskette for the system
you are servicing into diskette drive A.
- Start the configuration utility program.
- At the main menu, select Step 2, Add or remove boards.
- At the next menu, select the slot
in which you installed the adapter.
- At the next screen, select OK.
- At the next screen, press F5 then,
select Create &period.CFG file&period.
- Press Enter&period.
- At the Create a board CFG file screen,
type in the adapter manufacturer and description (for
example IBM Token Ring) then, press Enter&period.
- Refer to the adapter documentation for information about specific
configuration parameters (such as IRQ or DMA channel)
required for the adapter.
Then, follow the instructions on the screen to
enter the appropriate parameters on the menu.
- Normally, ISA adapters do not use
every parameter. Most adapters require only a port address.
- The SVGA video controller in the server requires specific
memory and I/O address assignments to function properly. To
avoid configuration conflicts,
do not assign the following SVGA memory and I/O addresses
to other adapters or options in the server:
- Memory address space:
A000h - C7FFh
- I/O address spaces:
02E0h - 02EFh
03B0h - 03DFh
- After you type in
all of the appropriate parameters, press F10&period.
- At the next screen, carefully verify that the information is
correct then, press Enter&period.
- At the Add Confirmation window, press Enter again.
- In the next window (add),
The adapter description appears in the selected slot.
- Verify the installation then press F10&period.
- At the next menu,
select Save and exit the configuration utility&period.
PCI devices do not require .CFG files.
Please see the LEGAL - Trademark notice.
Feel free - send a for any BUG on this page found - Thank you.