Configuring ISA or EISA Features and Options (Server 330)
Configuring ISA or EISA Features and Options
Some ISA and most EISA devices come with option diskettes.
These diskettes can contain any or all of the following types of
- Configuration files (.CFG)
- Device drivers
- Sample applications (mini-applications)
A configuration file is required to configure the server for
ISA or EISA adapters.
You have to copy
this configuration file, which has a file-name
extension of .CFG ,
from the device diskette to the EISA Configuration Diskette
before installing the device in the server.
The configuration file reserves the system resources that the
adapter needs to function properly.
Some ISA adapters come with a diskette that contains
the .CFG file for the adapter.
If you want to install ISA adapters that do not come with
their own .CFG files, you must create a .CFG file for each adapter.
To create a unique .CFG file for an ISA adapter:
- Insert the IBM PC Server EISA Configuration Diskette into
diskette drive A.
- Start the configuration utility program.
See 'Starting the Configuration/Setup Utility Program' if necessary.
- At the main menu, select Step 2, Add or remove boards.
- At the next menu, select the slot
in which you installed the adapter.
- At the next screen, select OK.
- At the next screen, press F5; then,
select Create &period.CFG file&period.
- Press Enter&period.
- At the Create a Board .CFG File screen,
type in the adapter manufacturer and description (for
example, IBM Token Ring); then press Enter&period.
- Refer to the adapter documentation for information about specific
configuration parameters (such as IRQ or DMA channel)
required for the adapter.
Then, follow the instructions on the screen to
enter the appropriate parameters on the menu.
Normally, ISA adapters do not use every parameter. Most adapters
require only a port address.
- The controllers on the server requires specific memory
and I/O address assignments to function properly.
configuration conflicts, do not assign the following memory and
I/O addresses to other adapters or:
A0000 - C7FFF
- After you type in
all of the appropriate parameters, press F10
- At the next screen, carefully verify that the information is
correct; then, press Enter
- At the Add Confirmation window, press Enter again.
- In the next window (add), press Enter
The adapter description appears in the selected slot.
- Verify the installation; then press F10
- At the next menu,
select Save and exit the configuration utility
Please see the LEGAL - Trademark notice.
Feel free - send a for any BUG on this page found - Thank you.