Can't upgrade to 4.1 from 3.2.5
59H 7013 (5xx)
D5 Install 4.1 tape
Desc: Customer is trying to do a migration install from 3.2.5 to
4.1.2 and is receiving the error:
The operating system is not supported on this hardware
configuration: model code 0x0400.
Action: The customer is trying to install the wrong version of
AIX 4.1.2. The tape he had was an AIX version 4 Server.D5
tape. The customer is trying to install onto a model 360
which is in the E5 Processor Group. The customer needs to
get an install tape that will install on his machine.
On what machines can AIX 4.1 run?
- AIX 4.1 runs on all machines that run standard AIX 3.2. Some
non-exceptions are worth mentioning to clarify this statement:
- The Power Series 7007-N40 (notebook) runs a modified AIX 3.2; AIX
4.1.2 does not run on it.
- While AIX 4.1 can be installed on a node of the Scalable
POWERparallel SP machines, but the full SP function is not
supported before AIX 4.1.3.
- The model 7016-730 has a built-in graphics processor (called GTO)
that is not supported in either AIX 4.1.1 or AIX 4.1.2. However,
the 730 itself can run AIX 4.1 if a different graphics adaptor is
- Last, the High-Performance 3D Color Graphics adaptor (Sabine) is
not supported in AIX 4.1.
- AIX 4.1 is packaged in two forms:
AIX Version 4 for Clients
AIX Version 4 for Servers
- AIX Version 4 for Clients runs on all machines that run standard
- AIX Version 4 for Servers comes in two forms:
AIX Entry Server
AIX Advanced Server
- AIX Version 4 for Servers, Entry Server can be installed only on
Processor Group D5 machines. Processor Group D5, also called
Entry Level Systems, includes the following machines:
- AIX Version 4 for Servers, Advanced Server can be installed on
all machines that run standard AIX 3.2. In addition to the
Group D5 machines, this includes the remaining Processor Groups,
E5, F5, and G5.
- Processor Group E5, also called Advanced Desktop Systems,
includes the following machines:
- Processor Group F5, also called Deskside Systems, includes the
- Processor Group G5, also called Rack Systems, includes the
In summary, AIX 4.1 runs on all machines that run standard AIX 3.2,
however the AIX Version 4 for Servers, Entry Server package can only
be installed on Entry Level Systems (Group D5).
Next: Closing item.
Support Line: Can't upgrade to 4.1 from 3.2.5 ITEM: W5503L
Dated: July 1995 Category: N/A
This HTML file was generated 99/06/24~13:30:33
Comments or suggestions?