Diskette Drive Checkout (2640-560x - 60x, 70x)
Diskette Drive Checkout
Do the following to isolate the problem to a controller, drive, or diskette.
A scratch, write enabled, nondefective 2HD diskette is required.
FDD-1 represents an external diskette drive attached through the external
diskette drive connector. FDD-2 represents the external diskette drive attached to the port replicator.
Make sure the diskette does not have more than
one label attached to it. Multiple labels can cause damage to the drive or cause the drive to fail.
Do the following to select the test device. See 'Running the Diagnostics' for details.
- Go to the advanced diagnostic mode by pressing Ctrl+A from the test menu of the
- Click on Exit twice.
- Click on FDD-1 or FDD-2 to start the test.
- Insert the blank diskette when instructed and follow the instructions
on the screen.
- If the controller test detects an error, FRU code 10 appears. Replace the system board.
- If the controller test runs without errors, the drive read/write tests start automatically. If a drive
test detects an error, FRU code 50 for FDD-1 or 51 for FDD-2 appears. If the diskette itself
is known to be good, replace the drive.
- If the FDD-2 test detects an error, move the drive to the computer's diskette drive connector directly, if
possible, and test it again as FDD-1.
If no errors occur in the FDD-1 position, the drive is not defective. Go to 'Port Replicator Checkout' to isolate
the port replicator problem.
Please see the LEGAL - Trademark notice.
Feel free - send a for any BUG on this page found - Thank you.