||This task will show you how to clean a mesh.
Imported STL files or
generated meshes may present some irregularities such as:
- Corrupted triangles, i.e. triangles that have the same vertex twice,
- Duplicated triangles, i.e. triangles that share the same three
- Inconsistent Orientation, i.e. triangles that can not be oriented
consistently with respect to each other,
- Non-manifold edges, i.e. edges shared by more than two triangles,
- Non-manifold vertices, i.e. vertices shared by two or more connected
A mesh may also present some structural problems such as:
- Orientation problems, i.e. all the triangles are not oriented in the
- Isolated triangles, i.e. triangles belonging to small connected areas
of the mesh,
- Disconnected zones, i.e. the mesh is made of several disconnected
- Triangles with long edges.
Mesh cleaner proposes two families of treatments on such meshes:
- Deletion, i.e. visualization and deletion of corrupted or duplicated
of triangles with an inconsistent orientation, of non-manifold edges, or
of isolated triangles and triangles with long edges.
- Structure, i.e. re-orientation or split.
Click Mesh Cleaner
and select the mesh to process.
The dialog box is displayed.
Go to the tab of the treatment you want to
Deletion tab, click
Once the analysis is completed, the
line(s) corresponding to the problem(s) found become active.
column is updated with the number of cases found for the four first
Here, only non-manifold vertices have been found, and there are 5 such
You can visualize the problems found:
|Select the check boxes of the problems you want to visualize. By
default, they are displayed in white.
You can choose another color from the
use the slider to define the maximum number of triangles that a
disconnected area may contain.
If you set the slider to n, all the areas containing between 1 and n
triangles will be visualized, then deleted.
The limit values of the slider are defined according to the mesh.
Long Edges, use the spinner
to define the maximum allowed length edge of triangles.
All triangles with edges longer than this value will be deleted.
Click Apply to delete the unwanted
elements and OK to exit the action and save the processed part.
In the Structure
Click OK to save the processed part and exit