||This task explains how to create a light surface from an
with respect to the topological definition and the disk space.
This light surface can be used for the Die Design, and replaced by the
original surface at the end of the process.
The Light Surface command:
- accepts only one surface as input.
- is available only at the part level.
The initial surface must :
- be manifold,
- have one single boundary which must be the outer boundary,
- have no auto-intersections.
- geometric gaps between faces may not exceed 0.1mm
- there must be at least one direction in which the part presents no
The performance depends of the complexity of the surface:
- It may take a few minutes for a complex surface represented by
hundreds of faces.
- The reduction of size depends also on the complexity of the surface
- The computation time and the data reduction depend on the number of
shape edges to process. We recommend that you fillet the initial surface
before creating the light surface.
- There is no progress bar to control or stop the computation.
LightSurface01.CATPart from the samples directory.
Click Light Surface
The dialog box is displayed:
Select the surface to process.
The dialog box is updated with the name of the Surface.
If necessary, modify the
i.e. the maximum deviation allowed between the original and the light
The default and minimum value of the Maximum deviation is 2 mm.
Click Apply. The Light Surface is
and the dialog box is updated with Statistics.
If the maximum deviation actually computed is higher than
the one requested,
the number of points concerned is displayed (Number of points out of
and the check box Show points out of tolerance becomes
Select it to display those points in the 3D viewer.
Once you are satisfied with the result, click OK
to validate the Light Surface and exit the dialog box.
The original surface is sent to the NoShow and a LightSurface.x feature is
created in the specification tree.