Subject: IBM Severity Codes
Date: September 20, 2004
IBM Support prioritizes problems using the following definitions.
Be sure to classify a problem correctly to get the appropriate level
Severity 1 - CRISIS
- The system (or a major application or component) goes down, critically impacting a customer's ability to do acceptable business.
- No bypass alternatives are available.
- Severity 1 requires total commitment of equipment and personnel by the customer and vendors to resolve the problem. The respective management groups are responsible for assigning personnel.
Severity 2 - MAJOR
- A problem that causes a severe operational impact
- Bypassing the problem is possible but not feasible
- Severity 2 requires the failing component be made available for repair
Severity 3 - MINOR
- Any problem causing restricted function or minor impact on performance
- Bypassing the problem is both possible/feasible
- Deferred maintenance may be acceptable
Severity 4 - BYPASSED
- A circumvented problem
- The problem's impact is noncritical and does not affect operation
- Deferred maintenance is acceptable
September 20, 2004